Every new school year presents new challenges. One of the biggest and most dreaded is homework. Homework doesn’t have to be a fight. Here are some tips to help get you and your child off to a happy homework place this year.
- Establish a distraction free zone to do homework.
- Choose and stick to an approximate start time.
- Have proper materials and let your child choose them.
- Use a teacher involved daily assignment sheet.
- Stay calm and be specific when you are telling your child to start homework.
- Praise your child’s efforts before correcting mistakes.
- Take a break if things get heated.
- Set up a plan to reinforce homework if it is difficult, your child can earn small rewards or privleges for doing it calmly and praise.