Summer is a great time to brush up on your professional skills. Let’s review a key concept of Parent Management Training that you can use with all the parents you see. Praise!! When you teach parents to effectively praise their children for behaviors they would like to strengthen, be sure the following components are included.
- Be specific – tell the child exactly what they did that was good
- Be close – go into the same room as the child when you are praising
- Use touch – high-five, hug, kiss, pat on the back, or fist bump each time
- Be immediate – praise right after the positive behavior
- Be enthusiastic – sound super excited
Make sure you practice this skill with the parents rather than just talk about it. This practice will help parents to translate the skill at home with their child.